IX Wireless spent the last six years researching, developing, and building new wireless technologies to make broadband more affordable and accessible.

Now, IX Wireless is in the enviable position of being able to implement a brand-new network based on the latest available technologies.

The result is that IX Wireless does not suffer with having to maintain and upgrade legacy networks as other providers do, meaning we can offer the latest services and broadband speeds to businesses and consumers alike.

Core network

IX Wireless operates our own core network using national dark fibre that is lit up with DWDM (Dense wavelength-division multiplexing) technology.

This allows IX Wireless to use many optical wavelengths around the UK and provide Terabits of capacity to the network, from a small number of fibre cables.

In addition, IX Wireless has the capabilities of being seamlessly upgraded as and when demand requires, within a very minimal timeframe and with zero down time.

Local Town Networks

Within the distribution network of each town, IX Wireless uses resilient ring topologies that are constructed using full active fibre on our own owned infrastructure.

Our fibre connectivity uses over 99% of IX Wireless owned fibre. The remaining 1% uses PIA, where we need to negotiate busy roads, motorways and rivers etc.

Each town accesses multiple local POPs (points of presence) providing connectivity to the IX Wireless core network, which allows the ring to work in a fully resilient manner.

The last mile

At the access level, or what is commonly called the last mile, IX Wireless uses 3 different methods:

  1. Radio - the latest 802.11axR2 wireless standards to deliver a full service to the end users on a point to multipoint basis. With speeds of 300Mbps and potential future speeds of 900Mbps for the same price.
  2. FTTP for residential properties using GPON delivered from our ring and providing speeds up to 900Mbps.
  3. Leased lines for business parks (active fibre) delivered from our own ring, at half the cost of other networks such as BT, Virgin, etc.

Radio is an important part of what makes IX Wireless different. We have learnt that trying to saturate a residential area with wireless seldom works as other providers have proven.

As such, IX Wireless works with their strategic partners to develop enhanced carrier class wireless transmitters that can deliver up to 300Mbps using Point to Multi Point to large collections of end users.

Why radio?

Radio technologies have been given bad press, but when implemented correctly with the appropriate resilience and network capacities, radio is the best option within the distribution and access networks. IX Wireless sees this as being the standard towards which to work.

Based on the strict network planning and topologies that IX Wireless has implemented within their distribution and access network, issues such as weather do not have a knock-on effect to the end users’ service.

IX Wireless has developed these planning strategies based on over 6 years’ experience in the field and with this knowledge and experience IX Wireless is now operating services that adhere to strict SLAs.

These include the 99.99% uptime availability that business customers require to operate.


IX Wireless employs carrier class layer 2 - 7 equipment within the network. This can provide enhanced services such as content filtering to keep end users safe.

IX Wireless is also a voice carrier and is fully interconnected into the UK PSTN using direct interconnects to tier 1 Telephony providers and hosts geographic telephone number ranges for almost every city and town in the UK.

IX Wireless uses a co-developed internal soft-switch platform that provides a complete set of class 5 services to end users.

The IX Wireless network has been developed with converged technologies in mind and it can therefore support voice, data and IPTV services and will allow for further technologies to be on-boarded as more and more end users move to using IP as their communication method.

Using the aforementioned employment of the latest technologies and based on IX Wireless’ own developments, as well as the expertise of their strategic partners, IX Wireless is able to provide a true alternative access network to that of legacy network providers.

IX Wireless has built the network with wholesaling in mind and wants to open it up so that end users can benefit from competition whilst still enjoying the benefits that the technology can bring.